Thursday, September 17, 2009

You spin my head round & round

I would like to start this blog by saying that I am probably the least technologically advanced person in the classroom. No, really. I graduated from high school in 2002 and ever since then I feel like I've been detached from the new and exciting forms of technology that my peers use and depend on. I mean, when I was in high school (I know, it really wasn't THAT long ago) hardly anyone had a cell phone. Nowadays children in elementary school have cell phones! And tomorrow I bet most toddlers will be walking around with I-phones. I didn't get my first cell phone until I was 18 and I really didn't feel like I NEEDED one, I just thought it would be convenient. I am still trying to understand what has changed in this world to make people feel like they NEED them and go crazy without them.

My lack of tech skills might surprise you because my family actually got the internet at home way before most of my friends' families (back in 1998). I was a Freshman in High School at the time. I was so far advanced in those days... I taught a lot of my friends how to set up their first email account and how to IM. I used to stay up late chatting with strangers in AOL chat rooms (before they knew how dangerous that was!). However, things changed when I graduated and got out on my own. I went to school for a few semesters and then traveled overseas... then returning to full-time work. Working full-time actually sheltered me from new and growing technologies. My co-workers were much older and could hardly figure out their outlook email account, let alone an MP3 player! Then, some more time passed and I got married (I should mention to someone who is clueless about technology! Just a couple of years ago, he tried to send an email and couldn't remember how to do it so he just typed the email address in the URL address box and pushed enter! I still tease him about this.) Not to mention, we have not had TV for 3 years now and have recently got the internet after not having it for 2 years. So after 4 years of working full-time, I have returned to full-time college at Purdue at the tender age of 25. Surprisingly, I experienced culture shock similarly to when I was traveling overseas because the times have changed and everyone is so reliant on technology. This is a totally different world than what I remember... even 7 years ago. I still use CD's (have no idea how to even start with an MP3 player nor do I want to!), still use my old Yahoo email address that I created in 1998, have just a normal phone with normal phone capabilities, still no TV, only connect through the internet on my desktop computer, and here I am trying to write a blog for the first time! It is exciting to me to finally "catch up" and know what's going on. However, I am a little frightened by it all. I still am convinced that I do not want to always be "connected."

Maybe its because for 4 weeks I lived in a remote village in Nicaragua without any connection to the outside world... and 11 hrs down the river to the nearest civilization. No TV, phone, internet, electricity, cars, or currency! Everyone grew their own food and voluntarily filled roles as teacher, judge, and doctor. We bathed in the river, drank water from the river, disposed of waste in the river... you get the idea. Anyways, I think that I learned how to live without much and how extremely satisfying that is.

I will discuss my reactions and explorations to technology in this blog. I want to discuss why technology is necessary and whether or not it really makes life more enjoyable.

So, stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Hey I still have my Yahoo address from about that long ago too! It's ok! embrace it!

    ReplyDelete